Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Sharpie poppies

Colors you don't usually wear, is today's prompt for #clairestelle8june on IG. I think this is such a great prompt, because it gave me a chance to go outside my comfort zone.  My least favorite color on my nails would have to be red. Which is funny really. Back in the day when I had acrylics, in my late teens, red was my favorite color to wear. What happened!  😐







I decided all red was going to be too much, so I went with these poppy looking flowers from UberChic plate 9-02. It's been a long time since I've done a sharpie mani, so out came the sharpies! My son asked me what I was doing when he saw them on my nail desk. I had to explain those are mama's, because my kids love to 'borrow' my stuff 🙄
I found the easiest way to work with these is to make decals on my Uber mat mini, and then rub the sharpies on a piece of aluminum foil. Dip your brush in isopropyl alcohol and run it over the foil. Using this method gives me the best control, because the colors want to run and bleed outside the lines. Given the flat surface of the mat, helps. Or almost, just don't look to closely!
I reversed some of the decals, to change the direction of the flowers. I like this for a change in the pattern. It's all in the details! To add a bit of dimension and sparkle, I dabbed on a bit of China Glaze Ruby Pumps at the base of the flowers.
The holo white base is CBL Chasing a Unicorn. To be honest I was a bit disappointed in this polish. This is only my second time using it. When I first heard about this white holo, I was in heaven, so I had high hopes. This time around I used only one coat of the holo topper. It's a two step system. A white color correcting base coat, and then the holo topper. Too much topper makes it look grey. But the topper can go on streaky with one coat, so it looks better as a base for nail art. That's what I love about stamping, it covers a lot of the mistakes!
Top coat is HK Girl and stamping polish is MDU Black.

I feel a little more holo is in order, so I think I will have something with holo for tomorrow 😎

No comments:

Post a Comment